Monday, September 20, 2010

Chalkboard Vinyl Wine Tags








I saw these on Etsy and had to make some. It was definitely trial and error to say the least. The ones that I saw left the paper backing on the chalkboard vinyl and called it good. I did not like that. The first thing I tried was cutting the shape out of chalkboard and cutting the shape out of contact paper and then sticking them together, sticky sides in. That didn't work so good because to line them up with the precision required to make them look good was impossible. The picture immediately above shows the compare on how that method worked. The tag on the right of that picture was cut separately and them stuck together with less than exact precision. The tag on the left of that picture is my final product. Look at the third picture in this post and you will see what I ultimately did to get that precision look. I stuck the contact paper and the vinyl together BEFORE I cut them. Brilliant, huh. Too bad it took me an hour plus to figure that out.

Live and learn.


The file I used is very basic, it is a 3" circle with a smaller circle centered on top. I cut the slit on the top by hand, seemed easier to me. It is such an easy file it is almost easier to make the file yourself than to download it, but if you would like it, I am happy to share.





The ovals on the bottom of the scut file can be used for many different things. Canister labels and reusable gift bag tags. They are also fun to stick to the front of a glass and have your guests write their names on their glass. Not only the wine drinkers can have a little chalkboard. I just hate wasting vinyl and like to use every last inch of it.

Can't wait to have people over to use them.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Elements post on Sep. 20, 2010. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    These are so cute. Thanks so much for sharing
    I am now a follower :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete