Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Happy Brithday Banner

I made another banner last night. This time for a friend’s 39 ½ birthday. Her husband decided the only way he will surprise her with a party for her 40th is doing it early, hence the 39 ½. I think it turned out great.

Kay at Cleversomeday (her awesome blog is here) had some great advice on how to cut large items, simple yet effective. I think it was on the Sure Cuts a Lot forum that she gave it. She said just make your item whatever size you want it on your mat (zoomed way out of course) and then just move it around on your mat to cut small pieces (11 ½ by 23 ½ on the Expression) at a time. It will only cut what is in your cutting space. I used registration marks to keep track of what I had already cut and to help me line it all up when I was done. The large words in the middle were cut like this. The smaller words and shapes were all cut on the 12 x 24 mat and were applied one at a time. I applied most of the ovals prior to applying the large words in the center. After I applied the large words I added a few more ovals and the smaller words.

The smaller words are all adjectives describing my friend. She loves to shop so I got to make up a word. The word is shopalicious. What a great adjective. That is one great thing about the English language: if there is not a word that works, just make one up!!

Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous banner and that's a great tip! Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I have my husband a 39 1/2 Birthday too. I thought I was the only crazy person who did such a thing. LOVE the banner plus your Harley Davidson wall decor.

    http://lemiecosefavorites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete