Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rhinestones and Heat Transfer Vinyl

No files to share today, only a project.  Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, my camera is misbehaving today!  I made this for a friend's little girl to wear when she cheers her older brother and sister on at their sporting events.  It is size 10ss rhinestones for the M and the word Moorhead for our high school sports teams is cut out of glittery heat transfer vinyl.  I wish I could remember what font I used for the word Moorhead.  I usually make note of it, but I didn't this time.  Anybody know??

To make it, I cut a rhinestone stencil out of freezer paper. I used the Sure Cuts Alot program to do this but there is also a rhinestone feature in Make the Cut and the Silhuette Studio software.  I think you need the designer edition of Silhouette Studio to do rhinestones.  When I design my rhinestone templates I use a stone size for my design that is 3-4 sizes larger than the actual stone size I am using.  For this one I designed it using the 13ss sized stones knowing I was using 10ss sized stones.

I think freezer paper cuts best shiny side up, so I flip my image as the shiny side will be placed facing down on your tshirt.  Then I iron the freezer paper, shiny side down, onto my shirt using a cotton setting on my iron and NO STEAM.  I then placed the rhinestones using my template and heat set them in place using my trusty iron.  Remember to place a towel or something in between the front and back of your shirt as sometimes the glue on the back of the rhinestones can bleed through causing stains, or worse, gluing the front and back of your shirt together.  Follow the directions that come with whatever rhinestones you use for application. 

Freezer paper stencils also work GREAT with fabric paint.  Just another project to add to your to-do list!!  As always, thanks for looking!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the idea and the tips on freezer paper. This is a great "to do" project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat. You are soooo clever.

    ReplyDelete