Monday, February 21, 2011

Use Glossy Vinyl as Dry Erase Vinyl

I bought a roll of the inexpensive dry erase vinyl at Michael's.  I had been looking for dry erase vinyl and the price was certainly right.  However, I didn't like the way it cut, it weeded terrible, and it was very thin and see-through.  But I am so glad I bought it!!  As I was working with it, it occurred to me that about any high gloss vinyl will work as dry erase vinyl.  The only caveat is most high gloss vinyl has a permanent adhesive on the back that should not be directly applied to a wall.  I used indoor vinyl to layer my outdoor vinyl on top of to make a dry erase board for my daughter's room.  The best part is I can have any color I want!!  Here are some pics.



The glue is drying on a matching vinyl strip that we attached a couple magnets to hang the magnetic dry erase markers.  She loves it!! Thanks for looking!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that came out great!! Thanks for the advice regarding the vinyl. I keep wanting to do some projects but just can't seem to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OooH...perfect timing for your advice. I was wanting a dry-erase surface for my freezer door that would be flush. I hadn't even thought of vinyl!! Woo Hoo...now I know my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please elaborate on this "The only caveat is most high gloss vinyl has a permanent adhesive on the back that should not be directly applied to a wall. I used indoor vinyl to layer my outdoor vinyl on top of to make a dry erase board for my daughter's room".

    ReplyDelete